26.6.16

Truthwitch (The Witchlands #1) by Susan Dennard

Published by: Tor
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Rating: ****

Following the lives of Safiya, a Truthwitch [someone who can separate truth from lies] and Iseult, a Threadwitch [a witch who sees invisible ties binding/entangling those around her, bar herself], the novel explores the two young and independent women on their hunt for freedom. However, there is a war on the horizon and so with the help of a fellow Windwitch and a cunning enemy who can smell their blood, the two best friends must fight their way past royalty, hired men and their own families in order to remain free.

This book was amazing. As someone who had read Dennard's Something Strange and Deadly series, it made sense for me to read her next novel which had also been bumped to be the next big thing in Young Adult literature. And oh boy it was. 

I have to say a huge thank you to Tor UK for allowing me to have an advanced copy of this book despite the fact that I had preordered the book. But nonetheless, the story was fantastic so it wasn't a let down at all. 

Dennard strikes again, though. Her knack for writing kooky and strong female characters is something I wish I was capable of doing because Safiya and Iseult were two people I wished were my best friends and who I could be one day (not going to happen since I'm not a witch).

Their world was set up so beautifully that any reader who knew Dennard loves gaming, could see how she'd used her knowledge of those worlds to help add more layers to her fictional one in Truthwitch. 

It was an absolute honor to read this book, and now I have to chomp at the bit as I wait for the sequel.

Truthwitch can be purchased from Amazon now.