27.6.16

Girls on Fire by Robin Wasserman

Published by: Little Brown
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Publication Date: May 5th 2016 
Rating: ****

A huge thank you to Little Brown for letting me have an advance copy!

Told via two perspectives, Girls on Fire is a complex book that tells the story of how strong a friendship can be between two girls. 

Hannah "Dex" Dexter is at first described as a normal girl. She's quiet and smart and just the girl not many people would recognise unless its Nikki Drummond aka the school bitch calling her out for almost anything she can. Lacey on the otherhand is the opposite. As the new girl in town, she's already caught attention that isn't precisely welcome but throughout the novel she becomes a figure that we're pushed and positioned to go from liking to disliking. Back and forth on an endless cycle. 

The book starts with the suicide of Nikki's boyfriend which triggers the book into action like a pile of dominoes falling around the two girls in a vast maze. I admit I got confused and lost a few times because my heart wasn't in it. By pushing my way past the difficult parts, the book became easier to read and follow but parts just weren't interesting. Maybe that's just me, others will probably like the book much better than I did.

A four star rating was the best I could do. 

Girls on Fire will be available from May 5th in most bookstores.